Search This Blog

Monday, June 9, 2014

Tabebuia impetiginosa - Pink Trumpet Tree

Pink Trumpet tree, best seen in warmer climates than our grows 20-25' tall with an open upright to lightly spreading habit. There maybe more here but I have only seen one.

This is at the Huntington Gardens.



I ran into this tree looking for the famous Monkey hand tree on Spring St, and out of the corner of my eye I thought I saw a beautiful Pink Dogwood, so I hung a quick U-turn and wow. I went back almost 8 weeks later and it was still blooming. The owner told me they were once planted all along Pacific Ave.



Found this one on the west side, can't wait to see it in bloom.



Foliage is deciduous, opposite, palmately compound, 3-5 medium green leaflets, elliptical shaped, 4" long, slightly serrated margins.



Little different look, a bit more stiff and weathered, but this was early fall and the other was spring.



Buds are silver, terminal is flat, while the laterals are very small. Stem greenish brown.



Tubular flowers are borne in clusters of 3-5 flowers, pink to purple with a yellow throat.



 Flower display at the Huntington.



Fruit is a long (8") skinny capsule, smooth green, no hairs, usually pretty straight. 



Bark is attractive.


Synonyms: Lots Handroanthus impetiginosus, Tabebuia avellanedae.


Misidentification:
Compared to the yellow trumpet tree when not blooming, look at the foliage, stems and fruit, one is covered with copper hairs, this one is not.

Location
Santa Cruz
112 Quarry Ln
124 Kenneth Dr. Wow, go see that one.
316 Oceanview Ave