Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 28, 2026

Sophora japonica 'Pendula' - Weeping Pagoda Tree

I was aimlessly riding my bike one day and stumbled across this interesting and unique small weeping tree. Sophora is an older name but I'll stick with it for now. Trees develop a rounded to blob shape with very interested branches. Trees grow to about 15' so this one much be old.



Leaves are deciduous, alternately arranged, pinnately compound to about 10" with 7 to 15 or so leaflets. Leaflets are medium to light green, narrowly ovate to lanceolate, 1-2" long. 



Stems are green until mature. The black buds are hidden by the swollen base of the petiole.



This cultivar seems not to flower or fruit (no kidding, can't have fruit without flowers.) If it has them they are off white and pea-shaped in large clusters.



The branching is very cool, twisted branches with some grafting to one another.
 


Misidentification? Foliage wise, lots but with this habit I don't think you can find another one with leaves like these and a habit like this one.

New name: Styphnolobium japonicum

Location:
Santa Cruz - I forgot, I have to get on my bike and aimlessly take a ride. Went looking for it a year or so ago but could not find the tree or the house.