Search This Blog

Friday, May 3, 2013

Prunus serrulata 'Ukon'

I love cherry trees in bloom. I find it interesting that there are so many different varieties to choose from, but most are not easily available. This cultivar is just around the corner from my house and I always love watching the color of the flowers change over the two weeks the three trees are in bloom. 



Like other cherries, this is a small deciduous tree grown mostly for the flower display in spring, but like many cherries it also has nice fall color.


What is unique about Ukon is the flowers start out chartreuse which is something I had never seen before with cherries. You can see the color in the photo below.



As the flowers age they develop a white with pink blush coloring.



Misidentification: Perhaps Shirofugen cherry, another that changes colors but does not have the chartreuse initial color and Shirofugen has a more flat topped habit and has way more petals per flower.

Location:
Aptos 508 Humes Rd.